The Texas Longhorns held off Kansas State for a thrilling 33-30 overtime win on Saturday at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. The Longhorns are now 8-1 to start the season for the first time since 2009.
After holding a comfortable 27-7 lead late in the third quarter, Texas found themselves in a thriller as Kansas State stormed back to tie the game at 30-30 and force overtime.
Bert Auburn kicked a game-winning 42-yard field goal in the first overtime period and the Texas defense got a fourth down stop to secure the win.
- Mitchell hauled in a 37-yard touchdown reception to give Texas an early 7-0 lead in the first quarter. The touchdown was QB Maalik Murphy's longest touchdown pass of his career.
- Early in the second quarter, Baxter broke free for a 54-yard touchdown run to give Texas a 17-0 lead. It was his third career touchdown and his longest career rush.
- Michael Taaffe kicked off Kansas State quarterback Will Howard in the third quarter to record his third consecutive game with an interception.
- Brooks found the end zone for the eighth time this season in the third quarter to give Texas a 24-7 lead.
- Bert Auburn made all four field goals, including two of 40-plus yards. He extended his made field goal streak to eight.
Texas will travel to Fort Worth to take on TCU on Saturday, Nov. 11.