The National Weather Service reminds us to take action and care for the 4 P's (People, Pets, Plants and Pipes) during wintery weather.
- Pay attention to children and the elderly. They are especially vulnerable to the cold.
- Dress in layers and wear a hat that covers your ears to retain body heat.
- Wear gloves.
- Bring all pets inside.
- Pets that must be left outside should have an enclosed shelter with an entrance facing away from the wind.
- Provide plenty of blankets for warmth.
- Plants in containers should be brought inside if possible.
- Water outdoor plants before a freeze to provide insulation to the soil and plants.
- Cover the plants if possible.
- Allow water to drip from faucets, especially those facing exterior walls.
- Open cabinet doors.
- Eliminate drafts where water supply lines are located in unheated areas.