A Texas-sized celebration is in the making for next year’s Valero Texas Open which will commemorate its 100th anniversary when the PGA TOUR comes to TPC San Antonio, March 28 – April 3, 2022.
In conjunction with the PGA TOUR releasing it’s 2021-22 tournament schedule yesterday, Valero Texas Open officials announced today some of the initiatives already being planned ahead of the milestone tournament, including a live concert headlined by Jason Aldean and featuring Darius Rucker to be held at TPC San Antonio following the third round of competition on April 2.
“Valero is honored to be part of the tournament’s legacy of giving back through the generous support of our business partners and sponsors,” said Joe Gorder, Valero Chairman and CEO. “With our long-standing relationship through the Valero Benefit for Children and Champions fore Charity, the tournament has helped raise more than $187 million for charities, positively impacting many lives in San Antonio and the communities where we operate across the U.S.,” added Gorder.
The Valero Texas Open is the sixth-oldest professional tournament in golf worldwide, the third oldest on the PGA TOUR and the longest to be held in the same city. It boasts a who’s who list of champions including Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Byron Nelson, Arnold Palmer, Ben Crenshaw and Lee Trevino to name just a few.
”As a Texan, winning the Valero Texas Open was incredibly special,” shared Jordan Spieth, the reigning 2021 champion. “It’s remarkable that 2022 will be the 100th anniversary of this amazing tournament, and I’m grateful to now be among the historic list of past champions.”
“We are incredibly excited to celebrate 100 years of the Valero Texas Open in a big way,” said Larson Segerdahl Executive Director of the tournament. “With such a rich and deeply rooted history here in San Antonio and the great State of Texas, we look forward to sharing this milestone with the entire community that has supported this long-standing tradition for a century.”
Tickets to the event will go on sale Thursday, September 2 via Ticketmaster and ValeroTexasOpen.com. As is customary, all net proceeds from the event will go to support hundreds of charity organizations throughout South Texas and well beyond.
Here is a sample of some of the initiatives:
- Valero Texas Open 100th Anniversary Concert presents Jason Aldean and Darius Rucker: The Valero Texas Open will host a one-of-a-kind concert to celebrate the 100th anniversary on Saturday, April 2 with the three-time ACM “Entertainer of the Year,”Aldeanand three-time GRAMMY award winner, Rucker. Walker County will kick off the concert following tournament play. All ticket holders attending Saturday’s third round competition will also be able to attend the concert.
- 100th Anniversary History of the Texas Open: Tournament officials are collaborating with award-winning sportswriter and author Kevin Robbins, to tell the story of Texas Open from its origins to present day. This incredible commemorative volume will be complete and available for purchase in time for the tournament.
- Historical Golf Course Markers: Tribute historical markers will be placed at the golf courses that have hosted the tournament through the years including Brackenridge Park, Willow Springs, Fort Sam Houston, Oak Hills Country Club, La Cantera, and TPC San Antonio. These historical markers will feature the writings of Robbins highlighting the tournaments contested along with the years and storied champions for each respective course.
- Commemorative Artwork:Graeme Baxter, official artist to some of the world’s most important golf tournaments such as The Ryder Cup, The Open Championship and The Presidents Cup has been commissioned to paint a commemorative lithograph of Valero Texas Open‘s tournament course, The Oaks at TPC San Antonio.
- Tickets: Valero Texas Open tournament and concert tickets will go on sale September 2.
Visit www.ValeroTexasOpen.com for all tournament news, updates, information and to purchase tickets.