Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff has written a letter to organizers of the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo urging them to delay holding the event over COVID-19 concerns.
Earlier this week, Fiesta announced it was pushing their April event until June. Wolff urged organizers of the rodeo to consider delaying their events as well.
"In light of our current COVID situation, this past Saturday, I shared with you my serious concerns regarding the rodeo and entertainment events to be held in the coliseum," said Judge Wolff in his letter sent on Monday to Nancy Loeffler, chairman of the board, San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo. "I suggested that it would be best to postpone the rodeo for now. With attendance at 4,000 each night, some 56,000 people will attend over the 14-day rodeo."
Wolff cited recent developments with other metropolitan rodeos like Austin that recently canceled their rodeo, which was to be held March 13-27. Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo postponed their rodeo until May, while the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo canceled their rodeo, which was scheduled for Jan. 6 though Feb. 6.
Wolff also pointed out recent events at the Alamodome, where he said some people had to be removed for not wearing masks.
"The decision to move forward is your decision, just realize the difficult situation you will face in enforcing compliance and the risk it presents," said Wolff. "If you continue your event, I would encourage you to follow the guidance issued by our local public health officials to make the event as safe as possible for attendees."
The San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo issued the following statement:
“The safety of our rodeo athletes, patrons and volunteers is of utmost importance to our sporting event that raises funds to help educate the youth of Texas,” said Communications & Public Relations Manager Lauren Sides. “The precautionary measures we are implementing during the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo not only adheres to, but also exceeds current local and state health guidelines.”
The San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo recently implemented significant measures to provide a safe environment for youth exhibitors, rodeo athletes and limited rodeo fans. In addition to current local and state health and safety guidelines, the following measures will be adhered to:
- Face coverings are required to be worn properly for those over the age of 4, unless eating or drinking
- Social distancing
- Temperature screenings required at all entrances
- Reduced capacity in the Freeman Coliseum (3,800 attendees) and livestock barns
- Pod seating in the Freeman Coliseum and all tickets are digital in the Freeman Coliseum
- Synexis Biodefense systems that help reduce the presence of microorganisms
- Dust Free Active air purification system in all HVAC units in the Freeman Coliseum
- All locations to be sprayed and cleaned with Bioesque disinfectant every day
- Multiple sanitizing and handwashing stations throughout
The San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo is scheduled to run from Feb. 11-28.