Trick or treating means candy, but all too often, candy means painful tooth decay and super scary high dental bills, News Radio 1200 WOAI reports.
Dr. John Luther, Chief Dental Officer of San Antonio's Brident Dental, says there are certain types of candy he sees being given out that he just knows will lead to a visit to the dentist, and sooner rather than later.
"Hard or sticky candy that really can stick on the teeth for long periods of time."
He says there are good rules for parents to follow when it comes to Halloween candy.
Parents should tell kids not to start dipping into the goodie bag until they get home, and then, do it under some sort of rules, and not just binge eating.
"Its really good advice, it would limit the candy to one day if possible, perhaps after meals."
He says the candy should not be taken into the kid's bedroom, and after a couple of days, anything left in that bag should simply 'disappear.'
If you plan to distribute candy tomorrow night, what are the best tips? Dr. Luther says, again, try to avoid sticky candy that will stay on the teeth, and always give only candy which is still factory wrapped. He says anything that is not makes parents' nervous, even though the urban legend of 'poisoned candy' is very rare.
"Chocolate is a good option because it doens't stay on the teeth as long, it washes away, and some chocolates have less sugar."