Unextinguished Barbecue Pit Blamed for North Side House Fire

A fire that started in a back yard barbecue pit is blamed for severely damaging an upscale north side home early today, News Radio 1200 WOAI reports.

Firefighters were called to the 15000 block of Oakmere St, which is near Lorence Creek Park off Henderson Pass, about midnight.  When they arrived, they found smoke and flames shooting out of the back and the attic of the home.

Firefighters immediately evacuated the family, but the fire spread to the rest of the house.  Damage was estimated at 'at least' $60,000.

Crews said the family had barbecued outside about 7PM, and left the barbecue pit and went inside for the evening.

A stray spark from the unextinguished fire was blown into the home and caused the fire.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content