3 Things To Know Today

1 Dams Breached By Floodwaters In Central Michigan

As people across the country are taking a step closer to normalcy today, tens of thousands in central Michigan are being ordered to evacuate. This, as two dams failed from the heavy rains that have soaked the state this week. Officials say the Edenville and Sanford dams in Midland county breached last night, and as a result, people in the area have been told to get out right away as flood waters head their way. Some officials have called the conditions a "500 year flood." Not surprisingly, Governor Gretchen Whitmer has declared a state of emergency over the situation and activated the National Guard. "Downtown Midland could be under approximately nine feet of water," Whitmer noted. "We are anticipating an historic high water level."

2 CDC Director Believes Country Ready To Reopen

The head of the CDC believes the U.S. is ready to reopen from coronavirus shutdowns. Director Robert Redfield tells “The Hill” that transmission of the respiratory illness is way down from where it was in February, March and even April. Redfield maintains that the CDC is working to make sure states have the resources to conduct plenty of testing and contact tracing to contain problem areas. But it’s not all sunshine and roses – he acknowledged the challenges that will come as a potential second wave of the virus coincides with flu season. Meanwhile, President Trump is again defending his personal use of a controversial drug to help prevent the coronavirus. As we told you yesterday, Trump has confirmed he’s been taking the anti-malarial medication for about a week and a half. When pressed by reporters at a White House event about taking hydroxychloroquine , he argued that a "lot of doctors" are taking the medication. He called it an "extra line of defense" and said it has received "tremendous reviews.”

3 San Antonio And Bexar County Extend Stay Home Orders

San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg and Judge Nelson Wolff issued separate but joint updates to their Stay Home, Work Safe Orders to continue slowing the spread of COVID-19. The orders are effective immediately and if extended by City Council at this Thursday’s meeting, will last until 11:59 p.m. on June 4, or until it is either rescinded, superseded or amended. These orders do not supersede Governor Abbott's orders earlier this week that moved the state into Phase 2 of the reopening of Texas. “As our economy slowly reopens with a phased approach, the physical distancing and other common-sense measures recommended by our public safety officials are as important as ever,” said Mayor Ron Nirenberg. “The way to return to public activities without being forced back to stricter requirements is to behave responsibly and with consideration for others. These orders guide us toward safely reviving our economy.” “The measures we have implemented over the past few months have led to Bexar County having a very low infection rate. With this new order, we are continuing to ensure the health and safety of our community while ensuring that everyone can go back to work and go about their lives,” said Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content

News Radio 1200 WOAI · San Antonio's News, Traffic and Weather
Listen Now on iHeartRadio