New York Mets star Yoenis Céspedes did not report to the ballpark for the team's game against the Atlanta Braves on Sunday (August 2). The Mets issued a statement saying they have been unable to contact him.
"As of game time, Yoenis Céspedes has not reported to the ballpark today," Mets General Manager Brodie Van Wagenen said in the statement. "He did not reach out to management with any explanation for his absence. Our attempts to contact him have been unsuccessful."
According to MLB reporter Ken Rosenthal, the Mets do not believe Céspedes is in danger.
"Mets have learned they have no reason to believe Cespedes' safety is at risk, according to a source with knowledge of the situation," he tweeted.
The Mets said that they sent a security team to check his hotel room and found it had been packed up.
A few hours later, the Mets learned that Céspedes had decided to opt-out of the 2020 season. Mets beat writer Tim Britton said that the Mets were surprised by his decision.
"We will support him in that decision. It was surprising, without question," Van Wagenen said.
The Mets did not say why he decided to leave without telling the team.
Mets manager Luis Rojas told reporters before the game that Céspedes was not in the starting lineup, but did not indicate that he was planning to opt-out of the season.
Céspedes has struggled early on this season, batting .161 with two home runs, four RBIs. He has struck out 15 times in 31 at-bats. This is the first time he has played in over two seasons following a series of injuries, including a fractured ankle during an encounter with a wild boar.
Photo: Getty Images