Electrical Short Sparked Major Schertz Hotel Fire

The Schertz Fire Marshal has determined that the major fire last weekend at the La Quinta Motel on I-35 was caused by a light fixture mounted on a ground flood exterior wall, News Radio 1200 WOAI reports.

Fire Marshal Thomas Pinder says when the light fixture sparked, it spread through a void space in the wall and shot up to the attic, where the fire was allowed to spread.

He says fire codes do not require sprinklers on the roof, so there was no fire suppression equipment that was able to prevent he fire from spreading from there. He says one sprinkler did activate, in a fourth floor electrical room.

More than 100 guests had to be evacuated, and three people suffered relatively minor burns and injuries. All were treated and released.

Several fire departments helped fight the fire. Pinder has placed the total damage to the hotel at over one million dollars.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content

News Radio 1200 WOAI · San Antonio's News, Traffic and Weather
Listen Now on iHeartRadio